NAB Examination scheduling is now open on a limited basis.
Welcome to the examinations section of the NAB website.
The NAB licensure examinations were most recently published in July 2019. All examination content reflects what was current practice at that point in time. As such, changes to practice in the long-term and post-acute healthcare profession/industry that have been necessitated by the coronavirus situation and other recent developments are not yet assessed by the NAB licensure examinations. Examinees are advised to respond to examination content accordingly.
Please Note: While NAB offers the federal licensing exam for potential Nursing Home Administrators (NHA), candidates must be approved to test through their respective state licensure board(s). NAB is unable to approve any NHA exam applications. Please contact your state board to determine if you are eligible to take the below exam(s) prior to submitting an exam application.
Exam candidates will need to pass the one hundred (100) item Core of Knowledge examination module and a minimum of one of the below fifty (50) item line of service (LOS) examination modules.
Currently, there are three line of service exams offered in the areas of:
- Nursing Home Administration (NHA)
- Resident Care/Assisted Living (RCAL)
- Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)
Once approved by a state licensure board, candidates can apply for examinations through the NAB Clarus application system at https://nab.useclarus.com.
Those applying for the NAB Health Services Executive (HSE qualification) will need to complete both the RCAL and HCBS LOS exams and should choose "NAB-HSE" as their state jurisdiction.
Please use the below resources to learn more about the NAB exams:
- NAB Exam Candidate Handbook - This handbook outlines the modular exam structure, exam fees, content represented within the exam, and much more. Please read the candidate handbook first for any questions about the application system and the exam structure.
- Recommended Exam References - NAB provides comprehensive reference lists for the Core of Knowledge as well as all three line of service exams. All exam questions are referenced to a minimum of one reference listed in these documents. As each exam candidate's is unique, NAB is not able to recommend one, specific reference as all resources are used in exam development.
- NAB Annotation Of Tasks Performed and Knowledge/Skills Across Long Term Care Lines of Service - Need detailed information about a specific exam? This Annotation Guide outlines differences across lines of service along with identifying how training content, test questions, and testing emphasis differ among each of the exam modules.
- Test Score Intepretation - Do you have questions regarding intepreting your exam scores? Using an example score report, this comprehensive test score intepretation document will assist in truly understanding your test score
If you need technical assistance or need help in scheduling your exam please contact PSI at 1-833-892-5442.
NAB is the nation’s leading authority on licensing, credentialing, and regulating administrators of organizations along the continuum of long term care.
For general inquiries, continuing education questions, or information about NAB examinations: